Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Kitchen Transformation/Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Hey everyone! 
Well I have finally gotten caught up on home projects and since school is over I am ready to make this blog one of my priorities! I thought it was appropriate to make the first post in my new house about my new kitchen, since it was my first major project. The first thing we did when we closed on the house was buy cabinet paint and a sander and got started right away!

Here is the before and after=] I really disliked the color of the wood cabinets and have always loved the look of white cabinets in a kitchen, especially paired with dark hardware. I decided to bring in black to help balance how our kitchen and dining area is decorated and to warm up the space. Although it may look like we replaced the countertops, that is paint! Stay tuned for a post on how i did it. 


A closer look at the island, I love having an island! I made this into my cutting and prep station. 



Then, we added the drawer pulls to match the cabinet knobs. All of these were purchased at Menards and are linked between the pictures along with the template we used to install all of them.





 After this beautiful pot rack sat on the floor for a couple of months, we finally got it hung up securely. This was harder than I thought it would be but it was so worth it. It looks amazing and I don't have to waste cabinet space for pots and pans. 



Here is a closeup picture of the cabinets after the were painted. I didn't buy a fancy paint sprayer for spend a small fortune on doing this and the best part is that i did it all myself. I used a small roller for both the primer and paint. I did use a brush for the grooves of the cabinets to keep dripping from happening in those areas with the roller. its best to do the backs of the cabinets first, that way when you flip it once its dry you don't risk messing up the front side  


This is the primer I used (i also used this when I primed my counters, but more to come on that later)


This is the paint I used for the cabinets, I had both white and black in this. (excuse the picture, I am getting a new camera soon so no more phone pictures, yay!) it took three coats of this for the white and two coats for the black island and covered really well and smoothly. It is also extremely easy to keep clean, everything wipes off very easily and doesn't mess up the paint. 


I hope this will help some of you who are thinking of redoing your kitchen and the idea of painting cabinets has crossed your mind. I couldn't be happier with the outcome of my kitchen so far. I have plenty of ideas for this area soon and will be sure to include you in those projects! 
Thank you for all of the support and be sure to subscribe to get emails on new posts=]
-Kat



No comments:

Post a Comment